The size and shape of the dining table you choose may be determined by the space itself, how you like to entertain and of course your budget. But like most things, it also comes down to personal choice and for me, there is something visually appealing about a round dining table. I'm so glad we decided on a round table for the recent norsu campaign. A dream to style, the dining room shot ended up being one of my favourites. I love the intimacy created by a round table, and when it's a big group, I always feel I can interact with more people. You may remember me talking about my love of round coffee tables, and similarly the sense of balance that can be achieved is the same here. The rounded corners soften the square edges of surrounding elements such as artworks, other furniture like shelving and consoles, or even window frames. The first room below features a stunning Bruno Mathsson table, paired with classic Black Wishbone chairs by Hans. J Wegner and a Louis Poulsen PH pendant. The flooring, artwork and cabinetry are also stunning. I've picked out some more favourite to share with you, and at the end of post you'll find some of my top tips for styling a round dining table.
- Create balance by pairing a table with bold wooden legs or a large base with chairs that have a finer aesthetic.
- The chairs don't have to match, in fact a mix of different styles can work really well.
- Hang a low-level pendant light over the table for both visual impact and to create mood and ambiance.
- Experiment with colour. I like the idea of sitting down to a meal surrounded by calming paint colours, especially if it help the kids sit still at mealtimes! Alternatively, use bold colour to create vibrancy or dark colours for drama.
- Create a focal point with beautiful artwork, either a picture wall or one statement piece.